I continued taking photographs so I can have a wide range that I could pick from for my final. I used both natural and artificial lighting and was still trying out different arrangements of the things around my word.
I was struggling to pick a final that shows my entire word and some of the things around it. I asked several people for opinions and in the end I made my own decision based on what they mentioned. I was having a hard time picking one of those 3.
The ones above have a lot of space and one is really bright that it looks too edited. I made up my mind to go back to the pictures I took in the beginning without the natural light and try adjusting it in Photoshop. It actually worked and I went around asking people which one they thought looked better. Gezzal mentioned that those three are way too messy and the composition isn’t well thought of.
This is the final photograph after fixing the red cast.
This project taught me a lot. We began with researching the definitions of words,picking a word and then looking for materials. I wouldn’t have achieved what I wanted or at least close to what I had in mind without this research. We moved on to learning a rule in type which is kerning and I’m glad I know that now. I’m still not an expert at it but I think I will be able to understand it more during the course. Moreover, the experimentation I did was a good way to help me decide on what I want and what I was trying to show with my word. I was having a hard time with the sugar because I had to make sure it does not over heat in order get the right consistency. I began to learn that patience is something that I need to work on and I need to take breaks when I’m frustrated. I was taking this way too seriously and would panic if something did not turn out the way I wanted it to be. The breaks gave me space away from my work and gave me time to think of how I could overcome some issues. I now know that I always need to look for solutions or have another plan if something does not work out.
I loved working with large letters but realised how tricky it is when I decided to turn them into lollipops. The foam board was difficult to cut until I changed to cutting with a smaller blade. It was a bit more precise and I could control it better than a big blade. The last part of this project was thinking of a composition and taking the photographs. I found it hard to work with light and shadows. However, Al jazzi and Star were very kind to help during this final phase. I enjoyed working with sugar and struggled at certain points but this project was defintley a great experience.